Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails...

When I moved to Ft. Lauderdale I didn't know anyone except one girl named Melanie that I had met once. She is a wife of a guy that works with Tyler and I was hoping that even though we had only met once that we would really hit it off once Tyler and I moved here and guess what... we really really did. Tyler went out of town the first week we were here and Mel was there to take care of me while he was gone. She made sure I felt comfortable in Ft. Lauderdale, she made sure I wasn't eating alone at night and she made sure I knew where all of the best shopping malls and beaches were. I can tell she and I are going to be lifelong friends, at least I hope we will.
Something else to know about Mel is that she is with child... or she was until yesterday. I woke up at 8:00 am and was laying in bed trying to talk myself into getting out of the covers when I got a phone call from Mel. Landon (her husband) was out of town for work and she needed a ride to the hospital because there were a few warning signs that she thought were false labor. I went to pick her up and on the way to the hospital she was telling me and herself that she was not going to have a baby because she was only 36 weeks pregnant. She was sure it was false labor and that they would be sending her right home. She wasn't due for another four weeks and without Landon in town she wasn't about to have that baby. She was so sure of it that she didn't even tell Landon to get on a flight home. However, as she was saying these things to me and herself, her water had already broken and her contractions were four minutes apart. Needless to say she WAS in labor and she did in fact have a baby yesterday... a beautiful baby boy. Unfortunately, her husband did not make it home in time for his child's arrival. Because of that though I was lucky enough to witness the birth. While I was in that hospital room, after little baby boy John arrived,  it got me to thinking about my own child's birth.
When Owen was born we took a lot of pictures but we never journaled anything about his birth or my labor or delivery. I'm not going to bore you with any of those details on this blog but I am going to bore you with pictures because other than taking them from my camera and putting them on the computer, I haven't done anything with them. I haven't even put them in a baby book for the little guy. (bad mom?) Also, before I go to bed tonight I'm going to write in my journal about my labor, delivery and the feelings that Tyler and I had when we first saw Owen. It was the most amazing, spiritual experience of my life. He was perfect and we were lucky enough to be his parents. I honeslty never thought I could love him more than I did that day and guess what, I was wrong. Every day I'm amazed by how much more I love him than the day before. Ok, enough of the lovey dovey cheese for now. Isn't he amazing though? I seriously can't get over how much I love this little guy...

Why does it look like I'm trying to force my child to look at the camera? I swear I'm not, it's just the way my hands are positioned... or maybe I trying to force him to look. I really don't remember. I guess that's what I get for not journaling anything about it until a year after his birth.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Och! Completely adorable. It didn't take much, but you totally made the pregnant girl cry. I can't imagine having a baby without Jon there! Good luck to Mel, and congrats that she had little John as well as that she had you to help her in that amazing time of need!

Tyanna said...

That really is the coolest thing that you got to see the birth of their baby and be there for Mel. And I love these newborn pics of Owen....I remember seeing him for the first time and thinking he was such a handsome newborn.

Chelsea said...

He is seriously the cutest new born I have ever seen.
I love him and miss him.
So glad you got to be there for Mel.

Carrie Ann said...

At first I thought this was going to be a sad post, then I thought Mel was going to have her baby in your car, and then I was relieved that everything went OK and kind of jealous that you got to be there for her. I'll bet you are a great birthing coach. We are so glad Owen was born!