Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thank you Anne Kolb

Last Saturday it was around noon when I looked around and realized that Tyler, me and Owen were all still in our pajamas, watching TV and being completely unproductive. Then I looked outside and all I saw were blue skies. I figured that we better take advantage of the 80 degree weather we were having. So, I talked Tyler into jumping online and finding something for us to do. Here is where we ended up:

Ok, so you can't tell where we are from this picture (oh but aren't they handsome?) but it is a park about ten miles South of here called Anne Kolb Park and Nature Center. I don't know who Anne Kolb is but I thank her for her park. It was gorgeous! They had these cute little nature walks out to gazebo's that looked out to water.  Like this:
BTW... for all of you eco-friendly people out there, the nature walkways are all made out of recycled plastic, how cool is that?
I had a few favorite things about this place. First the mangroves. Do you know what mangroves are? I didn't... but it's a kind of tree. It doesn't sound like a tree does it? It sounds like something made up. Tyler kept pointing to the side of the nature trail and saying things about the mangroves. So much of the time I can't tell if Tyler is serious or not so I really thought he had just made up the name mangrove but it turns out he didn't. It's real and it's beautiful. See...
Ok, so in this picture, it may look just swampy but in real life, it's gorgeous. You'll all see when you come out to visit us.
So on our way to one of the gazebos, we passed a little museum. It only cost one dollar to go in so we figured it would be worth it. Although we probably won't be taking anybody else there anytime soon, it was totally worth it for Owen. There was a nurse shark and a fish swimming around and he couldn't get enough. 

And I couldn't get enough of this:
Does anyone know how a seahorse swims? I was trying to see if those little things on his back were fluttering but I couldn't tell, I was so curious I looked it up when I got home. (Thanks google!) Those things on their backs are fins and they propel them forward and then they have other fins behind their eyes that help them steer. Interesting right? Maybe not to you but to me it was.
A few more things they had to offer there that we didn't have time to take advantage of were kayaks, paddle boats, basketball, volleyball, a little water park and fishing. We plan on heading back there with each of you when you come out to see us. Do you notice I keep mentioning you coming out to see us? If I keep planning on it, you've got to come right? Especially if I keep enticing you with places like the Anne Kolb Park and Nature Center.

3 comments:

Ally said...

So fun! I love places like that. Your little Owen is looking really big? What day is his birthday?

Brittany said...

He turns one on April 5th. Can you believe he's almost a year? Time goes by way way too fast.

Tyanna said...

From the look of these pictures I think I would have really liked to chum up with Anne Kolb!
I wish we had things like this close by here...or do we and I just don't know it because I don't shower enough to go out and about? Who knows.
I know one thing, though, if we do have something cool around here it isn't in 80 degree weather, so it can't be that cool.