Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lobster Boy

Have you ever seen this guy?

This is Lobster Boy, or if you're being politically correct I guess you could call him by his real name which is Grady Stiles. There was a time when I was so interested in this guy, I would watch any special about him that was on TV, read any book about him that I could get my hands on and listen to anyone who had something to say about him. I'm sure you're wondering why and I don't have an answer for you. Just some weird faze I went through I guess.

Anyway, this post is NOT about that lobster boy. This post is about these lobster boys:


In a couple of weeks, it will be the beginning of lobster season and for two days before lobster season opens up to the commercial companies they have mini lobster season so that people like us can go catch some for ourselves. We decided we would head down to the keys with Mel and Landon to join in the hunt.

Correction: The boys would join in the hunt while us girls and the kids did a lot of this:

And this:

This was the biggest hawaiin ice I've ever had. Yummy... as you can see Owen couldn't get enough. He wouldn't even take a second away from trying to eat it to smile for the camera.

And this:
Oh wait...  that's not a picture of us, it's a picture of a person we saw while we were sitting on the beach people watching. Is he wearing shorts? Who knows... we couldn't tell from this view.

Anyway, we got to the Keys and dropped the boys off at their camping spot:

And we drove to our camping spot:

We decided since it's like 100 degrees outside that it would be better for the kids and the moms if we slept in a nice air conditioned room while our men went and hunted our food for us.

They were naturals! The first day they caught tons of them, unfortunaately, only one was big enough to keep. The second day however, they had better luck and caught all of these:

After they were done lobster fishing the second morning, we decided to meet up with them and play at the beach for a while. Me, Mel, Eli, Tyler and Owen did this:

Don't they make a cute couple? So funny, I went to get the camera and I look back and Tyler was playing with Eli and they seriously looked like this cute little family under the umbrella out on the sandbar.

Oh and Owen did a LOT of this:
Seriously, what is it with my child and ramps or stairs? Is it like this for every child? He can not go anywhere with either of these things without wanting to climb them. He had a whole ocean in front of him and this was his favorite activity.

While we were playing in the ocean and on the stairs, Landon did this:
And came back with this:
Owen loved it:

Or maybe not... I couldn't tell.
So cute. Maybe next year when we go we'll strap a lifejacket on Owen and put him on the front of the paddle board. That way he can tag along to catch some of the little guys.

Tonight we reaped the rewards of our husband hard work and thouroughly enjoyed every minute of it:

Before the gorging ensued:



The during:

Mmmmm... yummy.




And the aftermath:

We dominated that lobster.

You, yes, I'm talking to the five of you that actually read my blog... you should think about coming with us next year. You'd love it, I promise.

Side note: I got a new phone last week and I added this truth or dare app. It's hilarious. Tyler and I played it pretty much the whole way there and the whole way home. It has the funniest dares on there. This is Tyler doing the Robot:

And me acting out a scene where I get poisoned and die a slow death:
Owen was so entertained while we played. Especially when Tyler had to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" while doing the actions and I had to sing a Britney Spears song. I promise if you ever come visit us, we'll be playing.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ok by far my favorite post YET! I was laughing so hard to so many things on here. Love Tylers robot, love Owen eyeing the slushie, you choking yourself... Shoot best one yet!

And that lobster actually did look yummy!!

The Cushings said...

I loved seeing and hearing about your trip through your blog. This looks like so much fun and the Lobster looked so good. I'm glad you are having so many adventures while in Florida. It's nice to see Owen, you and Tyler in action. Love you mom

Emily said...

What time of year do we have to come to be a part of this? Is it only in July? If it is, we are so there :)

small s said...

you had me at lobster boy.

Tyanna said...

you had me w/ lobster boy as well. looks like you guys had so much fun. i want to play the dare game w/ you guys on a road trip.

Mary said...

So jealous right now!

Kaesy said...

i'm coming...to everything next year...and this year too.

Unknown said...

Make that six people who now read you blog. I seriously just spent the last 30 minutes reading all your posts and laughing my head off. That hair cut post i thought i was going to pee my pants I was laughing so hard. I remember your brother having a rat tail! Thanks for the entertainment

JT said...

No way! Dustin showed me those lobsters when Landon sent him those pics and I was drooling then and drooling even more seeing them cooked! And was that your famous tri-tip with them? I want to do dinner again!!! I'm dying over it all. And how cute is Owen??? He has gotten so big! Love the blog and hope to see you guys again soon!

Carrie Ann said...

I agree that this was the best post ever! It's the best because I can't believe how awesome Florida is and how you guys are siezing every opportunity for fun. Todd has mentioned several times that he wants to go lobster hunting next year for his birthday. I can't think if a more fun or awesome way to spend two boys' birthdays than being out in the water and then dominating some lobsters. Seriously, Britt, you are funny! We love you and want to go to there.

Chelsea said...

I think you have more then 5 readers...But I sure loved looking at that cooked lobster. Man oh man that looked delish! Thats on my bucket list if you remember. I guess I will have to come next year since I will miss you while I am in FL this time. Next year will you take me lobster fishing?

Emily H said...

We DID come visit and we didn't do this! Thats ok, i love what we did, this just means we have to come again!!

Adrienne Engar said...

I don't think I can read your blog anymore becasue everytime I do I am overcome with jealousy...why do you get to live in such a GREAT place!? HOW FUN! Although...I would not touch lobster with a 10 foot pole.