Sunday, July 25, 2010

Super Cut... maybe not.

Have you ever had a bad haircut? I have... quite a few actually. Like this one:








Those aren't the actual scissors my hair was cut with. This is from  scrapbooking page my mom did for me years ago. Thanks Mom!





I was in seventh grade and my friend Emily came to school with a new hairstyle. I decided to copy the cut because on Emily, it worked, on me, as you can see, it did not. At all. I think it has something to do with my razor sharp chin.
My brother made up a song about this hair cut called "Brittany got ran over by a lawn mower" to the tune "Grandma got ran over by a raindeer" and taught it to everyone in our middle school. Ok, maybe not everyone but when you're 13 and ugly, it feels like everyone knows the song (Not to worry Trav, I've long since forgiven you).

When I was 25, I thought maybe I wasn't remembering what I looked like with short hair accurately, like maybe since it had been 12 years before, I had grown into a face that could pull off short hair. I was wrong. It was a bad idea... a really bad idea. It ended up looking like this:





Why so fluffy? The extra 20 pounds couldn't have helped the look either.







Well luckily after those two traumatic hair experiences, I've comes to terms with the fact that I'm made for long hair. It's just the best idea for me. I know now that drastic in hair terms for me means a few blonde highlights.

Anyway, since our little guy is so handsome, he looks great with any hair cut but in his short little 15 month lifetime he has had a couple of unfortunate hairstyles (thanks to mommy and daddy). Like this one:
































For some reason I felt that since those long hairs were his newborn hairs, I should keep them attached. I just couldn't bare the thought of cutting off the one connection he still had to the womb. Bad idea... poor little kid ended up looking like he was trying to pull off a comb-over (still, I think if anybody could pull off a comb over, it would be him... cute little guy).

Last week we had been letting his hair grow and grow and since Tyler was going to get his hairs cut, we decided to take Owen along for a little trim. I love the shaggy surfer style he has going but wanted to trim up the ends a tad. So, we headed over to Super Cuts (Tyler was leaving the next day so we needed something quick and easy) and immediately got an appointment with Doug.

Tyler went first and Doug did a great job giving him the cut he asked for. I was pretty confident putting Owen in the chair, especially when Doug pulled out a little apron with animals on it (this guy must know what he's doing with kids since he's got an animal apron for them to wear). I was dead wrong. I asked him to take just a little off the ends, which he did in some places. Like this for example... just took the scissors straight across:

















Really Doug? I know the kid is squirmy, so shouldn't it be easy for you to make it just a little less straight across?
In other areas, he didn't take anything off:

Just a random big chunk to the left and a sweet little rat tail left in the middle. I hate rat tails... even when they were a little bit in style (but really were they ever in style?). I hated them so much that when my younger brother had one, I offered to cut his hair for him and promised to leave the rat tail intact but because he had no control over what I was doing, I shaved it off. I just knew he would thank me for it later.
So, even though Owen is a baby and it's not a full on rat tail right now, I'm still not super happy knowing that eventually it could grow into something looking like this:

Like I said before, our little guy is so handsome that he can pull off any style (we think so anyway). I still think that Tyler and I might attempt to take a little more off the back  and next time Owen needs a trim, we'll rethink the place we go. Even if they do have an animal apron for him to wear.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! That is really funny, the great thing about Owens' bad haircut, it he truly is so adorable...so you can't help but melt when you see him....plus it should be pretty easy to fix.

Emily said...

AWESOME!! A few things: first, you know I've always wanted your chin. Second, Carter looked at that pic of you and Sarah and said, "That is not Brittany." And third, is that Derek in the last pic?

Chelsea said...

Hahaha. Oh Doug.
You know what else you could do if you wanna go drastic? Bangs, you look so cute with bangs.

What a funny post though. Def kept me smiling.

cambersue said...

I love it! I have some awesome ones of dallin with a wicked mullet when he was 2...I'll have to post it just to give you a few laughs!

Kaesy said...

oh my goodness. laughing so hard I have teary eyes. for reals. that rat tail on the end is amazing and I'm thinking something you should let owen aspire to.

also, thanks for being so awesome and posting your high school/middle school pictures. makes my day every time.

speaking of tears...one just ran all the way down my cheek from laughing at this.

Oh doug.

Tyanna said...

Here's the skinny....Owen will be just like YOU in the fact that he will ALWAYS be able to pull off looking good no matter what haircut.....even in your short hair you were as pretty as a peach. Miss you guys.

The Cushings said...

Brittany- you would look cute bald... you are so gorgeous! Owen is so cute also... as you said he could have any kind of a cut and still be cute. Love ya mom

Emily H said...

You can't see me, BUT I am Hysterical right now! I totally remember that song AND i know its bad but still to this day think of it every time I hear Grandma got ran over. (NOT my fault. Blame Travis) You are adorable no matter what your hair looks like. Same goes for your son!