Monday, July 12, 2010

Flugtag

Isn't that the funniest word? I couldn't stop saying it all day "Flugtag". For those of you that don't speak German, it means "Flying Day" (thanks Wikipedia!). A few weeks ago, Tyler saw a commercial for the "Red Bull Flugtag". If you're curious about what it is, you can see it here. Anyway, it looked hilarious to us so we decided we were going to head down to Miami for the day to check it out. We got there about a half an hour into it and it was packed. They said there was something like 70,000 people there. Crazy. But we were super excited to be there with the other 69,997 people attending the event.

















Ok, so Owen doesn't look super happy but he was loving the music and hamming it up for all of the people trying to talk to him. So yes, we were excited to be there. Since it was so so packed we had to work our way through the crowds to try and get close enough that we could actually see what was going on. This is the first one we saw:

Isn't this so funny? That guy is trying to fly with a big umbrella on a giant pair of jean shorts. So so funny. Right before the flights, they would do these skits and dances. There was a Robin Hood and his Merry Men trying to fly the sherwood forest. And a baker trying to fly a pizza pie. So funny to me. I was so sad I didn't get any good pictures or videos of the skits. Bummer. You might also notice all of the boats in the background. I couldn't believe how many people were there in their boats. We need one.

So because we were standing in the heat with 70,000 people, after about an hour we felt like this:


















Tyler was supposed to be acting sun-pissed in this picture but he didn't hear me when I told him so he looks happy. We were seriously so so hot though. We were sweating so bad. We were pretty gross. Poor Owen was so hot that we were just dumping water down his back and over his head. He loved it. We decided to go sit in the shade and Owen's found his favorite part of the event:



He could have spent all afternoon walking up and down this step. I guess little kids just don't care as much about people trying to fly things as they do about steps and leaves. Who knew?
Here are a few more pics from the event just in case you wanted to see some more:

So after we left Flugtag, we headed down to South Beach to meet our friends Landon and Mel. BTW... I have to brag about Landon for a sec. He rode his bike from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami on a beach cruiser today. 35 miles on a beach cruiser? I mean really... pretty cool. We had some way yummy lunch with them and then Owen did this:
By far the best part of Owen's day.

We ended the night by saying goodbye to one of the first friends I made in Ft. Lauderdale. Her name is Camber and I met her the first week we were here. She was so welcoming and starting inviting me to things right away. She helped me feel like Ft. Lauderdale was home. She and her husband also taught us how to make our own sushi... yummy!!!  Oh and she has the cutest kids, really. I serously love them and I am going to miss them so so much. Especially her little lady telling me she wants to make cookies and see Owen at my house. We're so sad... they are leaving us to go to Mississippi for the next year.


Bye Camber and Jerry! We're going to miss you so much!

P.S. I know that you probably think I wear that hat every day. I promise I don't. Just on the days I don't feel like doing my hair (more like every other day).

4 comments:

Carrie Ann said...

I love those types of events where there are tons of people and something fun is going on. The Flugtag is right up my alley! I forgot to remark on your last post how strange it is that random strangers just pick Owen up. I mean, he is the cutest thing, but there are boundaries, you know? As always, I wish we could have been there!

Kaesy said...

love your spontaneity! I wish I could have been there! We'd have laughed so hard!

Tyanna said...

So fun!! I love the video of Owen in the rain too--what a cool little kid!

Emily said...

Okay, had never heard the word "sun-pissed"--I like it! I'm going to have to use it on occasion. I actually saw something similar to the Flugtag on TV once and thought it looked hilarious! I would have been laughing my head off!