Thursday, July 8, 2010

Born in the USA

So when we were growing up, the 4th of July was one of my favorite holidays. My uncle and aunt live up in the Canyons in Utah and every year, we would head up there first thing in the morning on the fourth and watch the annual Brighton canyon parade. It was great because anyone could be in the parade. My parents would decorate our big wheels or bikes and let us ride in it (this continued with the grandkids) or we would jump on the local fire engine and ride around the cirlce and throw candy out at the spectators. After the parade we would make our way over to Jolene and Don's (the aunt and uncle I spoke about) for some lunch. This was always a major treat. They used to own and restaurant and they definietly know how to cook. Yum!

Anyway... since Tyler, Owen and I are no longer within driving distance from Brighton canyon we had to make other plans for the fourth this year. We decided to drive up to Orlando and spend a couple of days in Winter Park. We arrived around 11 and met up with Landon and Mel who were spending time up there as well and we headed over to the Farmer's Market and 4th of July celebration they were having there. As you may or may not know, I love the show Gilmore Girls and this weekend, I walked right into that show sans Rory and Lorelei. . It was the perfect small town holiday. They had a huge stage set up with performers (cloggers to be exact), potato sack races and kettle corn (my favorite... yummy!). Here are a few highlights from our fourth of July weekend.
















Eating our kettle corn. I seriously can't get enough of this stuff. Especially when the people selling it were claiming that there was only 250 calories in the whole bad. Not per serving... the whole bag. I beleived it for the sake of my mouth and belly getting some in it. Yumm!!!
The Fam

So this random woman picked Owen up and was dancing all over the place with him. He was LOVING it. So cute.

















Us and the John family. We love you guys!

We loved this DJ. He had props for everything. So fun. Owen could not stop staring. Oh and for all of you aren't married yet but are planning on it one day, he does do weddings as well. I didn't ask if he brings his car along to all of his gigs but I bet if you asked him, he would.


Owen's first experience with a frog. Isn't the little guy cute?
Owen loving swimming with his daddy. He's getting the hang of kicking. It's super cute. (do I say that about everything he does? It just is... I can't help it)
Watching the fireworks over the lake from the dock. It was awesome.
Roasting some dogs and making some Birthday Banana Boats for Mel... bananas, chocolate and marshmallows... is there anything better? yumm....

Owen's first ride on a waverunner. He loved it for about three minutes and then he zonked (sp?) right out.
Celebrating Mel's Birthday. YAY! Happy Birthday Mel!
On the actual night of the fourth some friends invited us over for a BBQ and some fireworks. So fun. Thanks Kennedy's for the yummy kabobs!

We ended our weekend with a trip to the beach. We were super excited to be there and invited some friends to meet us. About half an hour into it, a storm rolled in and they kicked everyone off the beach for the rest of the day. What a bust.

Such a great weekend. I love the fourth and am so grateful to live in this beautiful country!

6 comments:

Emily H said...

Looks like so much fun! I am loving your Hat! Where did you get it??

Tyanna said...

I am so happy that we both got to have fun participating in small-towny traditions with local townspeople for the fourth. You guys look all stylish & Hollywood & tan in your small town....we looked drab & bundled & pastey white in our small town. We aren't cool. Sennah is obsessed with the pic of Owen w/the frog in his hair...she keeps saying "Fog...Hay-er...O". We both think he is SO handsome! Miss you guys.

Carrie Ann said...

I love Winter Park. It's my fave part of Orlando. I love all the pictures, and I can't believe how OLD Owen looks in them. He looks so much older than 1! It looks like you guys had a blast. How come Florida always looks so much funner than Utah... oh yeah, because it IS.

Emily said...

So funny. When we were Skyping I thought you said Owen had seen a frog on it's head (as in the frog was standing on it's head), I didn't realize you said the frog was on Owen's head.
Is that your friend who just had a baby? Can you send me her diet?

* said...

I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED ON MY BLOG!!! I had no idea that you even had a blog so I would have never found it. First off let me start by saying that I am SUPER jealous that you live in Florida, I want to live by the ocean more than anything, second I am SUPER jealous of your awesome tan, you look GREAT! Your little guy is super adorable too!!! Really, I am so glad I get to see all that is going on in your life now, you look so happy!!!

Kaesy said...

Seriously, who is dressing you these days? So cute. Come and dress me....