Saturday, July 17, 2010

Key West Baby!

A couple weeks back Tyler was heading down to Key West and he asked if Owen and I wanted to come along. Of course we jumped right on that offer, packed up our bags and headed down to the Southern most tip of the US. It's only about a 3 1/2 hour drive and it's absolutely beautiful so it seems even shorter, plus Owen slept for 2 of the hours so it was super pleasant (those of you who haven't ever ridden in the car with Owen don't know how much he despises the car, but he really really does, something about being strapped in I guess). Since Tyler was working all day, Owen and I found some fun things for moms and babies to do in Key West. When we were on our cruise a couple months ago, the PL on the ship gave us free tickets to a butterfly conservatory. I didn't know how hyped I was on the idea of going but thought Owen might love to see butterflies. We walked in and he was in heaven. There was a teenage kid in front of us that had put some banana on his finger so that the butterflies would land on his hand. This is him: (is it weird to have a picture of a random teenager on our blog? Maybe...)
















Once he had them, he would bring them over to show Owen. (Thanks Random Teenage Kid!) It was super cute. Owen loved this one on my hat. He couldn't get enough of it.





























So I  had heard about the Sunset Celebration in Key West but hadn't heard the extent of what goes on there. We headed down with Tyler once he was off work and it was so fun. Mostly because of the crazy street performers (The Cat Man) but also because of the gorgeous sunset. So I had to put a video of the cat man on here. Sorry about this video, just stop watching it toward the end because I'm super zoomed in and you don't want to hear us jabbering or see any of us as up close as we are. But you have to see how strange this guy is. Seriously... this guy was hilarious (I don't think on purpose).




This guy was pretty impressive.


My super handsome boys.

Me and little guy.

Oh, I love this face... really really love this face.


The next morning we headed over to the aquarium. Owen was super impressed and even pet his first shark:


Don't worry, it's a nurse shark, which I swear someone once told me that they don't even have teeth but thanks to our very knowledgeable aquarium tour guide I found out that nurse sharks actually have 300 teeth. Who knew? 

Cute huh? He loved this big turtle.

 


I was trying to get a picture of the giant shark with it's mouth open behind me. Not easy to do when you're taking the picture yourself.

We also hung out at the beach, the pool and some way yummy restaurants (mmmmm... Hogfish Bar and Grill, check it out if you ever find yourself in the keys).

Oh and we had to get a picture at the Southernmost Tip of the Continental US because why not?












You should probably make a trip down to the Keys. It's worth it. Oh and if you ever do find yourself in the Florida Keys, please call us, we'll meet you there.

1 comment:

Carrie Ann said...

Um, I'll go to Key West with you anytime. It's always my winter fantasy to head down to the southern most tip and have a little summer. I have heard it is WAY crazy there though. Key West can attract some characters! But if the FL Rhodes were there it would be our own kind of crazy party... which means we'd not be so crazy but we'd laugh and talk and eat some good food and then go for a bike ride or a walk. Hmmm, that sounds heavenly.