Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Running

When my Grandpa Cushing was 49, some of his friends were going to run the Golden Spike Marathon up in Brigham City. My grandpa decided to go up and check it out and see what this marathon thing was all about. He got up to the start of the race and was chatting with his buddies and decided then and there that he was going to join them on the race. So he started running and he never looked back. My grandpa ran 16 marathons before he had to stop at the age of 66. Inspiring right? Who just up and starts running when they are 50 years old?

My love of running didn't start quite like that. When I was 25 I looked at myself in the mirror and knew I had to do something to shed the extra pounds.  I knew if I committed to running a marathon and told people I was going to do it, that I would have to do it. So, I asked my sister-in-law (expert runner, thanks Em!) for some running tips and a training schedule and the rest is history.

I LOVE Running... love it. I honestly don't think there is anything better than the feeling in the middle of a run after the first mile or so when you're right in the groove, the beat on your ipod is the exact beat of your steps and you look around and you are surrounded by beautiful scenery. I love the feeling when you pass other runners on your path and you realize you belong to the same group... you're a runner. Then the feeling a little later in the day when you're muscles are feeling it just enough to remind you that you started your day with a great workout.

Now, for the past few months, I have not been great about getting my butt out on the running path. I had a number of excuses, none of wich were truly legit but I was just getting a little lazy, so when we moved out to Florida and I was waking up to warm weather, I knew I had to strap those running shoes on again. Our friends Landon and Mel had told me about this great place to run. It's called the Riverwalk and it's conveniently located a half a mile from our house so on Saturday I got up and decided I would go and check it out. I ran a half a mile through our neighborhood and landed in the middle of running paradise. It's amazing...


Obviously, none of these pictures are of me on the running path but I haven't taken my camera with me when I've gone running because, where would I strap it? I plan on taking Owen down there in the next couple of days and I'll see if I can get some better pictures with Owen in them (since that's who most of you come to this blog to see anyway).
Isn't it gorgeous? I am in love... and I can't wait to take each and every one of you there to walk or run when you come to visit (I'm going to mention you coming to visit in every post because I think I believe it hard enough, it will come true).



No comments: