Friday, February 12, 2010

Our Home and the Welcoming Committee

So... as you know, I had not seen the house before we arrived to move here. I was nervous and excited to see what type of house Tyler picked out for us to live in and what type of people awaited me in Florida. When we got to the house, I was pleasantly surprised. This was the first thing I noticed:






That's right, those are tiles on our front porch. Apparently, we live in "Historic Sailboat Bend" and these are pictures of historic buildings throughout the city. I love them. One is "The Stranahan Residence", one is "The Annie Beck House" and one is "The Broward County Courthouse". I don't know anything about any of these historic buildings but you can bet that I'll be researching each and every one of them. The outside of our house is basically a big yellow rectangle so I feel like these tiles really give our place some character.

So we walk into the house and my first thought is that the pictures that Tyler took did not do this house justice. I love how open the house is. It's got a huge front room and a much bigger kitchen than I'm used to. YAY!!! As we're walking throughout the house, I notice a pattern, there is a little floridian to welcome me to my new home in four of our six rooms.


Sorry the pictures are so so small but they were taken with my phone. So, these were my first Floridian friends. Two cockroaches, a worm and a salamander. All dead... fantastic. First order of business: A Target run to get cleaning supplies. I figured since we would be moving in within a day or two, we should get the house all good and clean before our stuff arrived. Needless to say, it was seven days before our stuff got here. I'll write more about that adventurous week in another post. Anyway, our stuff finally arrived on Monday and while Tyler was in Jamaica on business Owen and I worked really hard to get everything in order. This is what the house looks like now. Still some work to do obviously but at least we can live in it this way.









Kitchen


















Living Room










Owen's Room





























Owen's Bathroom (also your bathroom when you come to visit)










Our bedroom (obviously one of the rooms that needs some work)

What will one day be our office and yes, to answer your question, that is my husband wearing an afro to unpack his boxes. I love that man!











We also have another bathroom but it's nothing special and the guest bedroom but the only thing in there right now is a weight bench that Tyler's had since middle school. I promise that the weight bench will be replaced by a nice comfy bed by the time you come to visit though.

P.S. I don't know enough about blogger to make the pictures and wording line up so I apologize for my lack of blogger knowledge. It will just take me a few posts to figure it out.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Your house looks great, Britt! Can't wait to see it in person. And I love the rug--nice work!