Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Day at the Beach... or not.

While Carrie and Todd were visiting, we found this great little place on the intercoastal to dock the boat. It's a nice area that is just a one minute walk from the ocean.
 It has picnic tables, grills, bathrooms, etc. right where you dock. We thought it would be a great way to spend a Saturday so we made plans with our new boat co-owners (The Mays) and the Mulcocks to head over there.
The day got off to a great start, only leaving the house one hour after the estimated time of departure (not bad for a Rhodes outing). First stop was the gas station. As we were pulling in, we noticed this guy, under the air/vacuum machine:

He has nothing to do with this story, I just thought it was crazy that this is where this guy decided to pass out. Gas station parking lot. There has got to be a more comfortable place for that... on a bench somewhere in a park?
Anyway... while Tyler was getting gas, I decided to run in to the gas station to grab some waters. Owen wanted to stay in the car and "drive" so I turned the car off but didn't think the take the keys out of the ignition. When I got out of the gas station, I went to get in the car and all the doors were locked, with my two children inside, with the air off, in 90 degree heat. Great. We figured Owen could unlock the doors for us but after ten or fifteen minutes of us trying to get him to push the unlock button and him not quite getting it, the gas station attendant (who we had asked for a hanger or anything that we could get the door open with ten minutes earlier) came out with a slim jim to help us open the door. I guess he was afraid to bring it out to us before because apparently it's illegal to own a slim jim (Tyler is explaining this to me as I write this post). Thanks to the gas station attendant lending us his illegal equipment, we finally got the door open.
 We got down to the boat launch and everything was finally going as planned. I got out of the car, had both kids in my arms and was trying to lift Owen up onto the peir when I slipped, and this happened:
Is that gross? Should I not post pictures like that?
It didn't feel good, but I'll be honest, my pride was hurt worse than my knee. You would think I would get over being embarrassed from falling because I'm always doing it. I'm super clumsy. I even fell down the stairs at my high school graduation when I was walking to get my diploma (but that's anther story). Anyway... second not so great thing to happen that day.

We got on the boat and everyone was happy. Look at these three kiddos loving the boat ride:
Two minutes into the boat ride we got pulled over by a cop because two of the life jackets we had on the kids were a bit too big. The cop made us feel like horrible parents and then gave us two free life jackets. I guess that isn't too bad when you get pulled over by the boat police and drive away with something free.
Finally got to the beach and set everything up.
Once we got settled, we jumped in the water and found these suckers all over the place:
Since we docked our boat just a few steps away from the beach, we decided to go over to the other side to swim there; hoping to find better water. Which we did, everyone was having a great time...


  until about five minutes after this picture was taken when both Jeff and Tyler got stung by this little guy:
After so many not so great incidents all in one trip we decided we'd better call it a day and head home.

We actually did have a really fun time with great friends but it was probably one of the most eventful beach days we've had thus far in South Florida. I think I'd be ok if that was the only super eventful beach day we had like that one as long as we live here. 

5 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

You forgot to mention that Max slammed one of your boat parts down on my finger and nearly chopped it off. I'm still healing from this dangerous day.

Emily H said...

Sounds like quite the adventure!! A day to remember for sure.

Tyanna said...

BRITT!!!!
It's such a good thing you have such a calm-collected-ness about you...you probably remained chipper and pleasant the entire day. Kris would have had to rush me to the hospital due to a paralyzing anxiety attack. I don't do well with injury of any sort...and if that had happened to my leg I would probably still be limping so as not to stretch the wound any in way....you know, cause that hurts ) :
On a positive note...how cool is it to have a boat AND live in Florida??? LUCKY DUCKS....(except on this day).

The Cushings said...

I love that the boat police gave you two life jackets. Owen looks so cute in that picture. I'm glad you and Caitlyn came away with only minor injuries also.

T-Fam said...

We went to the beach the other day and we found the same little jelly fish. It scared me to death.