Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Pressure of a Name

My grandma went to school with a girl named Nancy Ann Ciancy (pronounced Nancyannciancy), my parents knew a guy names Phillip Muweenie, everyone called him Phil (feel my weenie), we had a librarian at my high school named Gaylin Fagg but she went by Gay (Gay Fag) and my brother has a friend who named their child Cannon, which is actually cute except that their last name is Ball (yep... Cannon Ball). Are you wondering why I'm telling you this? Well... names have just been on my mind lately. We're trying to come up with something for baby girl Rhodes and it's much harder than I ever would have anticipated. When I was in elementary school, I thought I had my kid's names all figured out. I'd have twins, a boy and a girl and their names would be Tony and Tawny. For some reason, Tawny just doesn't have the same appeal as it once did.
So... like I said, names have been on the brain. I don't want our little lady to have a name that is going to traumatize her for the rest of her life like those listed above. How come it wasn't this hard with Owen? Tyler and I pretty much decided on that name while on our honeymoon and it stuck. No such luck with this little one. Our options thus far: Elliott (my choice), Brooke (Tyler's choice), Sienna (both kinda like this one) and Nemo (Owne's choice).
Every time I tell someone over 30 that I am rooting for Elliott they automatically think of this:




















 But this is who I think of when I think of Elliott:




















 Isn't she cute? I think so. Plus, I think even if you do think of ET when you hear Elliott, the second you meet our little girl, you will start thinking of her instead.
Luckily I don't really care what anyone else thinks about the name. As long as Tyler and I are in agreement on what it's going to be, I'll be happy. But that's the hard part. We have seven weeks left though. Plenty of time...
Is this blog post boring you? I know, I'm lame. We just don't have a lot to blog about right now. We did head to Orlando last weekend for a couple of days. On our way up there, Owen was asking for some book in the back seat, I was handing him every one that I saw back there and finally figured out that this is what he was wanting to read:













I don't even know what that magazine is or where it came from. Junk mail we left in the car? Probably. Should it worry me that he wanted that magazine over his book about trucks that was right next to it?
We spent some time at the pool and at Sea World while we were there but Owen's favorite part... the shuttle bus to and from the park. When Tyler asked him that night what we had done all day, the bus is what he kept talking about. Look at this smile:













I mentioned that I was lame earlier right? Well, it rings true with taking pictures as well. I took maybe three pictures the whole time we were there and this was the best of the three. Remember when I used to ask him to say cheese, he would at least attempt somewhat of a smile? It's somehow morphed into this face. He does it almost every time. Closes his eyes and scrunches his face like that. I love it.




















I also lost my wallet for five hours. It wasn't fun. Has that ever happened to you? Well, it sucked. Luckily, some super nice, honest guy named Victor turned it in so all was well. Doesn't it just make you so happy to know there are really honest people out there?

Tyler had to head to another location from Orlando so it was me and Owen on our own for the drive home. I had given him a pen and a Mickey Mouse coloring book to keep him entertained while we were on the road. He was being so good just in the back coloring away and then eventually fell to sleep. When we got home, this is what I saw:













No wonder he was so happy back there. At least it kept him entertained.

11 comments:

Emily H said...

I'm not going to lie, when I first read the name Elliot, I thought so not my favorite, but in the 2 min. it took me to read your post it has grown on me. You could even call her Elli for short! So cute!

Side of Jeffrey said...

Name your daughter Bumpi Rhodes.

T-Fam said...

When I here Elliot I think of the girl off of scrubs too. I agree with you though. It does not matter what anybody else thinks it just matters what you and Tyler think. Good luck with picking a name! Owen is adorable by the way.

Tyanna said...

I love all three name choices!! And with the last name Rhodes, you really can't go wrong...except for maybe the above suggestion of Bumpi. Sen and I were reading this together and when we got to the pic of Owen drawn on legs she said, "Can I do that too Mom?"--can't wait until they can play together this summer!

Chelsea said...

I think its totally true, no matter what you name her she will be totally fit the name.
I went to high school with a kid named Heber Goobler. That must have been rough.
Poor David had his heart on naming his kid Jack...until Amy said, "You are going to name your kid Jack Self?" I guess I never thought about it that way. Jack is no longer going to be their son's name. Sad. Mean kids these days!

Mary said...

Oh wow! You're almost there. I agree with everybody else...the name won't matter, cause she'll be stinking cute!

fattooth said...

Grenalda. Short for Grenaldina. Do it.

Veronica said...

Britt!! I can't believe it's really you!! I've thought about you countless times over the last 11 years hoping life was treating you well and that you were happy somewhere... Definitely seems like that's the case!! Write me back sometime if you feel like it, I'd love to catch up!! Congrats on your baby girl!! Veronica Dean Reginato

vreginato15@msn.com

cambersue said...

Naming is my absolutely least favorite thing about having a baby. It is sooo hard. There is just a lot of pressure riding on you as a parent to name your child something that they're going to like and not hate the rest of their lives. i totally feel for you. Porter didn't have a name until the very last second we were in teh hospital. i sent the lady with the birth certificate away at least 3 times.
Good Luck! Whatever you pick will be Fabulous~!

Kaesy said...

Around here we think boy names are way harder than girls names. We can't decide either! Baby is coming in three weeks and it remains nameless. Poor thing. I keep wondering too if we are going to have one of those babies who doesn't have a name for like three weeks until the social security people finally call and say, "You have to name your baby" and we just throw one out there we'll regret the next week.

Blah!

Jenny said...

Nancy Ann Ciancy? Did she got school with the Grandma who loves to play the accordion? that sounds like a Grandma story! Ha Ha. Great post! I like all your name ideas.

Dashing Boy