Sunday, August 15, 2010

Wanna? I do.

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Tyler wanted to be an investor. Why you ask? Because he'd walk home from school with his friend Tony, who had an uncle who owned a huge house on top of a hill that they would pass along the way. One day while passing Tony's uncle's house, Tyler asked Tony what his uncle did for a living, Tony told him he was an investor.Tyler had no idea what an investor did but he loved the idea of having a big house on the hill when he was all grown up.  So from then on, if anyone asked Tyler what he wanted to be when he got older, that would be his answer.
When I was young I wanted to be a school teacher. My reasoning... when we were young we didn't get to drink soda except for a few very special occasions throughout the year. My second grade teacher would drink Sprite every day and I figured that if I got to drink soda on the job, that was the job for me.
As I've stated before on this blog, we're always wondering what Owen is going to be when he grows up. This week Owen and I headed to a place called Wannado City. This place helps children explore their career options for when they get older.
You can not believe this place, it's a miniature city with all of the necessities:
A bakery: (Owen, do you want to grow up and be a chef?)



















A hair and nail salon (or maybe a stylist?):


















A merry-go-round where Owen learned to ride a horse (You could always be a Jockey...):


















A hospital with little ambulance (Or maybe even a doctor or an EMT?):


















A dance club (hmmmm... Owen as a dancer?):


















A train (Or, even a conductor?):


















A performing arts center, where kids can be in the actual play they are putting on (An actor you say?):


















A newspaper agency (Possibily a reporter?):


















and a bunch of other things I didn't get pictures of... things like a fire station, a circus, a modeling agency, a bank, a courthouse, the possibilities are endless...
When you get to Wannado City, they hand each child a check to get cashed in the bank. The kids can then use the money to buy a pizza (they make it themselves), go on rides, see a show, etc. Each time a child goes into one of the "businesses", they learn how to do the work in the business and then get paid for it. Owen got paid for dancing onstage at the performing arts center and for baking a cookie (yum).
I really loved this place. Too bad that once Owen turns two, it will be too expensive for us to ever go back.
Oh and did I mention what job made Owen the happiest? It wasn't the dancing, the cooking, the train conducting or merry-go-round. It was sitting in his friend's stroller and fake driving it around. So Owen, what you're telling me is that you want to be a race car driver when you grow up? 

7 comments:

The Cushings said...

Dad and I loved looking at this place. What a great opportunity for kids to discover what they want to be. Let's hope Owen changes his mind on his vocation... We love you mom and dad

Unknown said...

That looks so cool!!! I think that reading about Owen is about the only child i enjoy reading about :) Ya know how everyone writes about their kid, well i actually look forward to hearing about yours. And you guys too of course :)

Tyanna said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Owens shoes--what a stylish little guy! I think Owen would make a fabulous baby model. He'd rake in the big bucks for sure.

Emily said...

How fun is that place? And I have to admit, I was going to comment on Owen's cute shoes too. Also, I know the real reason you wanted to be a teacher, you wanted to go back to Welby and work with Mrs. Dickerson. No, the class does not need to bring their rain jackets to school tomorrow, thank you very much.

Carrie Ann said...

I would have LOVED something like that when I was right now.

cambersue said...

No, He wants to be a truck driver!

brandy said...

What a cool place!! Your story about wanting to be a teacher because of the Sprite made me laugh! Your little guy is so dang cute...he takes after his mama!