Saturday, October 29, 2011

An interview with Owen

The other night while I was putting Collette down, I heard Tyler and Owen talking in the other room. Tyler was giving him a "favorites" interview. I loved listening to his answers and thought it would be fun to record this interview in Owen's own words and post it here. He's a very active little child so I'm sorry I couldn't get him to sit still while asking these questions. He almost never just sits still.
 I love this kid. Have I said that before?

Since we're already on the subject, let's talk about the kids shall we?

New things with Owen:

1. He is a talker. If there is a lull in conversation, without fail he'll say "what should we talk about?" and then help come up with a new subject. Usually something like alligators or turtles. He is also in the "cuz why?" stage. Everything you explain to him he asks for more explanation... "cuz why mom?", "cuz why?"
2. When he's trying to get Tyler's attention and if Tyler doesn't respond after a minute or so, Owen will yell "HONEY!". I guess he notices that when Tyler isn't listening I'll yell "HONEY, can you please respond to Owen? "and he Tyler usually responds. Quick learner this kid.
3. When Owen wakes up in the morning he'll yell out "I'm waking up!" or "Hey guys, it's me!" or "Hey guys! It's sunny day!"  I love morning time.
4. We want to potty train him but if it isn't Owen's idea, it is not happening. We've been asking him if he wants to go in the big potty and he'll politely decline, then when he's a number two, he'll come to me and say "Mom, I'm pooping in my diaper because I like it". Just to let me know that he knows he should go in the toilet but it's not going to happen.
5. He LOVES to draw. Not color, draw, with a pen. He could do it for hours.
6. He loves to play trains, animals, cars and legos. But mostly he likes to destroy these things, run cars into each other, run trains into each other, have animals eat each other and have me and Tyler build lego structures so that  he can promptly tear them down.
7. He loves to say his nightly prayers. Usually consisting of only the beginning and the end. We usually have to remind him that we need to be thankful for things and bless other things. When we remind him of this, he'll usually say "Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus, Amen".
8. He uses his favorite "beat" (blanket) for the following- Acting like a ghost, playing superman and hiding from dinosaurs and monsters under it.
9. He loves to play baseball. We have a little baseball set that a friend gave him for his birthday this year and he loves to set it up, hit the ball and run the bases over and over.
10. He always wants to help. He wants to help when I clean, help when I'm making meals, help give Collette a bath, help change Collette's diaper, and on and on... just today he wanted to help Tyler change a tire.
11. He's so good at calming Collette down when she is upset. Yesterday in the car she was crying and he kept saying "No cry baby, there isn't a monster coming. There isn't monsters at our house, only lizards and squirrels." I was laughing so hard in the front seat. Oh how I love this kid.
12. He is super friendly. No matter where we are, if there is another child around, he will go right up, say hi and try to play when them. Regardless if they are ten years older or a year younger, as long as he perceives them as a kid, they are immediately referred by him as a "friend". Love this about him.

He is such a fun little dude. He is constantly making us laugh and has such a great little personalty. I really feel like he is just my best little buddy and I can't imagine having a better sidekick.

And now Collette:

1. Collette is now 5 months old.
2. She weighs almost 15 lbs and is 24 1/2 inches long. (50% for each, does anyone besides the parents care about this percentile thing?)
3. She is an amazing sleeper. Amazing. This makes Mommy very rested  and very happy.
4. She is such a happy baby. She hardly ever cries and is super quick to laugh all the time.
5. She has rolled over but pretty much decided that once she proved that she could do it, she probably wouldn't do it again. Ever. She is sitting on her own though so I guess that's something.

6. She loves to balance on Daddy's hands. She also drools A LOT (as you can see on this shirt)
7. She loves to eat and has started on oatmeal, bananas and a few veggies. I was going to wait a little longer but she wasn't having it. She sees you eating and let's you know she doesn't want to miss out.
8. She LOVES Owen, loves him. He walks into a room and she starts laughing. He'll come and lay right on top of her, roll over her, put his hands all over in her face and instead of freaking out about it, she laughs and smiles the whole time. I love seeing them together.
9. She loves to be sung to. If ever she is crying, singing almost always calms her right down.
10. Her favorite things to do are sit in her bumbo while I'm cooking in the kitchen, play under her baby activity set, sit in her swing, be held by mom or dad, eat, poop, and just be the cutest thing ever.
11. She is a major thumb sucker. Loves her thumb. I know it's going to suck breaking that habit later on but it's sure convenient when putting her down for naps and bedtime. She grabs onto her blanket, sticks her thumb in her mouth and drifts off to sleep.


We are head over heels for this little lady.


5 comments:

Colette Brady said...

You made me laugh super hard with your stuff about little Owen. "HONEY!!" love it. Your kids sure are cute and you're such a good mom. Miss you!!!

r+s+a laney said...

Oh my gosh I could just squeeze Owen, he is so cute. Collette is already sitting up?! That's so great. I can't wait until that happens for Aubs. Miss ya.

Tyanna said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! It is fun to see Owen on video and read about all the fun things your kids are up to. Owens potty-training reminds me of Sen...sometimes she would yell out "I am pooping in my diaper Mom--don't get mad at me." It drove me bonkers but the great thing is that when he is ready he will do it and with little to no accidents at all. Collette is SOOOOOO cute. SOOOOOOOO cute Britt! Love the pic of her eating. She is really dreamy with those blue eyes...and I am jealous she is a thumbsucker!!

T-Fam said...

Haha I love the interview. Especially how he jumped the whole time.

Unknown said...

This is such a perfect post to fill everyone in on how ADORABLE and wonderful your sweet kiddos are!!!

Owen is basically hilarious and all boy....similar to our Grayson :) and Collette is such a doll--you are one lucky lady!