Sunday, November 13, 2011

Halloween

My mom, as I've said before is amazing at holidays. Especially Halloween. She always let us kids choose our own costumes and would do everything to help make us look the part. You may remember from this post that there were a few years when the costume didn't turn out as well as one might have hoped; however, she did come up with a lot of good costumes. When we were super young, she made a tweety bird and sylvester the cat costume for me and my brother. She also made us clown costumes, a rollerskating waitress costume, and a Bam Bam, Pebbles and Dino costume that has been used by every family member and every friend that I have. One year she even made me this cat costume (pictured below). She also made one for my favorite cabbage patch doll so we could dress up together.
Was I too old in this picture to be carrying around a cabbage patch doll everywhere I went?
 Probably.

So there were definite years of success.
She would always dress up as well. Even now, when none of her children live at home, she gets dressed up so when kids come knocking on the door, they won't be disappointed. I always dreamed I would be that same type of mother. I'm not. Every year I have these intentions of having great costumes for me, husband and children and then it's halloween day and I've barely given it a thought. This year, for weeks before Halloween,  Owen said he'd like to be a witch because he really wanted to ride a broom. Once I explained to him that brooms don't really fly, he changed his mind and wanted to be a cat. Much easier costume than the witch but still not as easy as the free dinosaur costume we borrowed from a friend (thanks Jos!). Tyler and I kept trying to hype up the dinosaur costume in hopes that Owen would be convinced that was what he wanted to be. On the night of our church trunk or treat, about an hour before the event, we got out all of the halloween costumes. We were super excited because Owen had in fact decided he wanted to be the dinosaur, until he saw his elmo costume from last year and couldn't be swayed. I went with my never fail deviled egg costume, Tyler threw on his old Sponge Bob costume and Collette dressed as "Zany Zebra" (that's what it said on the package that my mom sent us). No effort at all for any of us. I didn't even decorate our trunk for the trunk or treat. Lame I know.
 Someone brought animals to our trunk or treat. Not Halloween-ish but pretty fun for the kids. Also, I suck and didn't take any other pictures. I actually didn't even take these, Tyler took them with his phone.

On Halloween day my mom had a tradition of making homemade chili and breadsticks and then having donuts and caramel apples for dessert.
This was the extent of that tradition for us this year:
Yep, that's canned chili and breadsticks made out of pre-made bread dough.  Lame. I didn't even make donuts. Luckily for us, our friend Mckenzie made some that I ate the second I got to her place (they invited us over for trick or treating). Tyler got super creative with his costume and threw on a captains hat. Owen decided he really did want to be the dinosaur and Collette went for a bunny costume that our friend let us borrow. I didn't even think about putting on a costume. Seriously, not even the deviled egg costume and all I have to do for that is throw it over my head. 
We had such a blast with our friends. These are Owen's besties right now. McKay, Ella, Rylin and Kylee. Love these kids. Aren't they the cutest? I think so.
He did get a little sick of the dinosaur hat, which Tyler was super happy to carry around for him.
 He had such a great night and luckily both he and Collette are too young to realize I was sort of a disappointment for a mother on Halloween. Next year, I'm sure I'll be much more motivated to make everything from scratch, the chili, the beadsticks, maybe even the costumes.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You aren't giving yourself enough credit! You did a great job with halloween. Your kids are lucky to have such a fun mom.

Emma Jo said...

Costumes are costumes. You guys look cute and had back ups at that! Sometimes being a Mom means just doing the minimum...luckily, our kids will never remember most of it (hopefully.)
:)

Side of Caitlin said...

I miss you!! I love your desire to keep the traditions alive!! Wish we were there to celebrate with you guys!!

Tyanna said...

I think you are a fantastic Halloween mom! So glad Owen decided that the dinosaur was a good costume cause he looked darling in it. Tyler also looked GREAT in the hat--like father, like son.
The deviled egg costume brought back the good old memory of when Customer Service all wore blow up cars (that were way too small for us) around our waists and you were the deviled egg and Dustin was the sumo wrestler....such good old days!
Don't even get me started on how cute the Zany Zebra/Bunny looked...I would really like to meet her in person!

T-Fam said...

Fun! Love the pictures! Next year we will have to go with you guys.

r+s+a laney said...

Haha I love your posts - they make me laugh. You all looked so cute, especially Tyler with the dino hat on :). Miss you guys!

Emily H said...

Love the costumes! I do believe I have one of us as babies I need to dig up. Good times.

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

You are so funny. I love your posts. And I am the same way with Halloween. I forced Nate to be an m&m with me - I won the argument because he thought it would be funny to make me be a speed skater. Nice hubby, huh.

cambersue said...

Tyler makes a pretty dang good triceratops!