Monday, February 28, 2011

Swap Shop!

I've been to one swap meet in my life. It was when I was probably seven years old, in California and I bought myself a little latina cabbage patch doll for $8.00. I loved that doll. Dark hair, dark skin. She was beautiful. A year or so after I got her my younger brother and his best friend Tommy were racing my cabbage patch dolls down the stairs (throwing them down the stairs as hard as they could and would see which one hit the ground first). Needless to say, my little latin love did not make it through. She came out with a giant crack all the way through her head. Poor thing.
When we moved to Ft.Lauderdale, on occasion we would pass a place called the Swap Shop. It is the biggest swap meet I've ever seen. It also has carnival rides, an arcade, a farmers market, a car museum and an indoor mall. Oh and a drive in movie theatre. How could this place not be amazing? I had fond memories from my last swap meet so Tyler and I got up oorn Saturday morning and figured we would go check it out and see if there was anything there for us. Like perhaps a replacement for my beloved cabbage patch?
















I guess I didn't really remember what a swap meet was like. I was expecting something like the fair, not like a giant yard sale but that is what we found. Just a few examples:
Cars with people selling stuff out of the trunks


Lingerie anyone? Really? Do people by lingerie from a swap meet?

Toys from someone garage. Owen loved it.

These actually would have been so fun but they were pretty trashy.
I think we'll wait to get one from an actual store.

I don't even know what this is. Just boxes full of someone's crap.
This was what most of the swap meet was.
We also checked out the mall. There were some super fun things found there as well. Like this perfect purple suit:

Or these dolls. How crazy are these? You just take a picture in and they put the person's face on the doll for you. I know what Tyler is getting for his birthday this year. He could take me and Owen along with him on every trip he goes on:

We hit up the car museum while we were there. I was pretty dang impessed with these cars and I don't even know anything about cars.


While inside we ran into this guy:

This is Uncle Bernie. I think he is supposed to make you excited about the rides outside. Owen loved him. He totally creeped me and Tyler out.
I guess seeing him worked though, because next stop were the carnival rides. Owen was loving them:



There was also a water ride. We didn't ride on this one:

One last thing... what is a swap meet without a large icee? mmmm... yumm.


Unfortunately there were no cabbage patch dolls in sight. Still... I think it was totally worth checking it out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my heck whats with Uncle Bernie's discolored double chin! Haha so great! Looks like it was a crazy time

Side of Jeffrey said...

Caitlin buys all her lingerie at swap meets or out of vans. Or used.

Emily H said...

I too am a lover of used, swap meet lingerie. So sad I never found any at our California swap meet. Had I known about your latina doll I would have totally found one for you~

Unknown said...

I totally remember swap meets from when I lived in Orlando. Did I tell you I lived there?
It seems like they happen all the time and everywhere.
I'm glad you took pictures. Brings back memories.