Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Somebody's Three!

It's this guy. 
Can you believe it? He's such a big boy. If you don't believe me you can ask him anytime and that's what he'll tell you. Either that or he'll tell you that he's Spiderman. Whatever... he's just a little stud.
When he woke up on his birthday, he ran into our room and Tyler and I broke into song. As soon as we finished, he looked at me and said "I don't really like that song." Which I was shocked by since all he could talk about the last few weeks was that he couldn't wait for his friends to sing happy birthday to him. Anyway he really warmed up to the song later in the day.
Our tradition is that you get to open gifts first thing in the morning.

Train Table... SUCCESS! (Thanks Katie for picking this up for me at 75% off!- It really pays to have friends that know their Target discount schedule)
Then we had some Birthday breakfast:
We had plans to do a party with all of his buddies on the beach. Unfortunately, for the second year in a row, we had to change plans at the last minute, this time because of rain. No biggie though, we just invited everyone to our place to eat cupcakes and play. Since I didn't have anything really planned for an indoor party, I thought we could throw some old school games into the mix so the kids weren't bored.

We tried Duck Duck Goose and Red Light Green Light, key word here being TRIED. Three out of the ten kids actually got it. It lasted about ten minutes before I realized that mostly two and three year olds just want to eat sugar and play. We headed inside and got to the important stuff. Sang, ate some cupcakes, opened some gifts and then just ran around. Owen really loves his friends! He was in heaven.


There were a few people who couldn't be there for the party during the day so we decided to keep the celebration going all night long.
Before everyone came over, we had some birthday dinner. Three years later and his favorite meal is still spaghetti. Yumm.

Owen wanted a spiderman cake so I obliged. About five minutes into it, when I realized that my red frosting was actually purple, I called in reinforcements.
Tyler and Owen make a kick butt cake.
 Owen found the perfect placement for Spidey.


Even though the game thing wasn't what you would call a success
 in the morning, I still thought it would be a great idea to do something for the kids when they came over that night so we threw together an obstacle course.
 Some people were into it

But I was reminded once again that three year old children mostly just want to play. No obstacle course necessary.
It was a fantastic day full of good friends:


And this guy!

A few things about Owen at three:
1. He LOVES trains, superheros, cars, monster trucks and doing puzzles.
2. He loves to drawing, cutting, glueing, anything crafty and spends a good amount of time here:
3. He loves riding his bike and his car.
4. He loves Collette and is such a cute older brother. This is him toting her around the house in his little wagon.
5. He is still not too hyped on the whole wearing underwear thing. He'll go a few days wearing them, going the bathroom by himself and then decide he hates them and wants back in his diapers.
6. He is super independent and loves to do everything himself.
7. He loves to help, whether it's making food, bringing in garbage cans, cleaning the house, etc. I love having him around when I need to dust. He's totally into it and I'm not.
8. He's really been into his colors, numbers and letters lately. He'll tell me at least a few times a day how he knows all of his colors (he does) and his ABC's (he doesn't... but we're working on it).
9. He's a total boy. He loves to climb, wrestle, jump, etc.
10. He has a really good sense of humor already. The other day he was in the back seat of the car and I hear him say "Arrr Matey"  and he was cracking up so I look back and he had a sticker over his eye. He's always doing stuff that makes us laugh. He definitely takes after Tyler that way.

I know I say this all the time but this kid is amazing. I am loving this age and can't wait to see what this year brings us.
Happy birthday little dude!

9 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

I LOVE OWEN!!!! You rock bro. I remember changing plans for your party last year. Wish I could have changed plans with you this year too. Have a great year 3! Maybe this will be the year you finally get to go to the top of Sears Tower like you have been begging your parents to do for 3 years in a row?

Tyanna said...

Awww-happy birthday Owen!! What a fun MOM you are Britt. My kids will not be having birthday parties with friends until they turn five. Sen and Dutch got the short end of the fun-mom stick and Owen and Collette got the really long stick. I can't tell you how much I LOVE the Spiderman cake--the purple frosting only sets it apart and makes it better. Owen is just the cutest--my favorite pic is him pulling Collette in the wagon and the spaghetti one too!

T-Fam said...

Glad he had a good birthday. Party was fun. Happy birthday Owen.

T-Fam said...

Glad he had a good birthday. Party was fun. Happy birthday Owen.

Kikal said...

I LOVED that picture of him and Colette, priceless!

Side of Caitlin said...

Happy happy birthday Owen! We miss you little buddy and we are glad you had such a great day!

Kira said...

All I can say is that birthday looks like it was a blast! I'm wanting to follow your example of being fun and spontaeous! Owen is such a cute little guy! They grow up so fast, don't they? Those beaches in the pics below are gorgeous! What a great place to live!

Sherrill Cushing said...

Now what child doesn't love the birthday song. That was funny. Brittany you do such an amazing job on your blog! I loved reading all about Owen. He is a cutie.. both your kids are so cut. What a fun birthday. Tell Tyler he could get a job making spiderman cakes!

r+s+a laney said...

FUN! We would have come. Are you having one for Collette?