Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Owen's Got Heart

YAY for this past week being over with! We came out to Utah a couple weeks before Christmas so that Owen could get a VSD (Ventrical Septal Defect) fixed. What does that mean? Owen had a hole in his heart that needed a patch so we flew in to Utah and headed to Primary Children's for a little open heart surgery.
When we found out about Owen needing the surgery Tyler and I talked about our biggest fears concerning the surgery. Obviously, the fact that it was an open heart was our biggest fear but, beyond that... My biggest fear was when they were going to take him away to get him prepped for surgery. I imagined he and I both bawling as they wheeled him away and then him waking up for surgery and me not being in the room. Tyler's biggest fear was just about the scar Owen was going to have live with for the rest of his life and how it would affect him. Isn't it crazy the different things mom's and dad's think about? Tyler kept assuring me that even when I wasn't going to be in the room that Owen would be in good hands and I kept assuring Tyler that Owen would definitely be able to pull a big scar off. I'm convinced it won't bother him when he's older.
The morning of the surgery came and instead of Owen being ripped out of my arms bawling, this is what he looked like:























Happy as could be. He couldn't wait to drive away in the car. Those people at Primary Children's really know what they are doing.
We went to see him after surgery and he was pretty out of it because he was being so fiesty that they had to sedate him. Poor little guy. It was not a fun couple of days for him or for us.
When he finally did wake up, he saw some trains they had brought to him, grabbed on to them and went right back to sleep. Comfort choo choo's. I guess they do the trick.




Just a little video for your viewing pleasure. This is one day after surgery. Sad... nevermind about the video. Apparently I have issues uploading videos. It hardly ever works for me...


After a couple of days in the ICU, we were able to move to a regular room. You can not believe the differene a couple of days make for a little kid. This is him two days after surgery:
Singing songs to me and reading me an Elmo book

















Playing with the suds from the sponge bath

 
Skoping out the play room























Loving the fun the hospital provides

Couldn't get enough of Toy Story























We ended up being in the hospital five days and were sent on our way. I'm going to quickly pre-empt this picture by saying that we had been sleeping in the hospital for those five days and hair and makeup were not my first priority. Saying goodbye:
We're so grateful to have the surgery over with and our the little man on the mend. YAY for Primary Children's Hospital and all of the doctors and nurses who took such good care of Owen. They were seriously amazing there.
We had so many visitors, phone calls, texts, emails, etc. from people who love Owen. Thank you so much to all of you who had us in your thoughts and prayers! It means so much to know people were concerned for our little guy. We love you!

10 comments:

Emily said...

We're so glad everything went well. We sure love that little man (and you guys too!) It was so much fun hanging with you last night. See you tonight :)

Tyanna said...

SO SO SO glad everything went well. What a resilient little guy....I think he must get that from you...remember when you got your two surgeries & then you went out to lunch or something the very next day? He is such a cutie! I wish we could get he & Sen together to see how they play...I am sure he would be running for the hills in no time. She would love him! Love ya & Miss ya...Merry Christmas!

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

So glad that is over. I'm glad we got to see you guys before the surgery. He looks great, and I'm so happy it went well! (Love his tan little body too! Lucky boy!)

cambersue said...

Oh my gosh what a nightmare! I'm so glad everything turned out ok and your little guy is healing quickly. Love you guys.

Mary said...

So glad everything went well. What a hard thing to go through as a parent. Tough kid! And scars attract girls, especially when they are attached to cool stories. And you look beautiful with no makeup and no sleep! So happy for your family.

Colette Brady said...

Brit I'm so glad everything went well. What a little champ!!! His scar will be pretty cool when he's older, I don't think it'll be a bad thing, especially for a boy. Sure love you!

Juliekins said...

Hey Brittney! I am so glad that everything went well. What a trooper. He is gorgeous by the way!! Miss you! Julie

Chelsea said...

I am so glad everything went so smoothly. That picture of him going with the surgeon in that car is so sweet. I cant imagine what you must have felt then.
His is such a stud.
It was so fun seeing you guys while you were here! I miss you

The Cushings said...

It's taken us a while to write but we are so grateful for modern medicine! we love little Owen so much. He was such a joy to have around.

The Dunns said...

Wow, Owen is such a trooper! We are so glad everything went well and he is back to full health. That is scary sending your little one into surgery especially open heart surgery. You have a darling little family.