Thursday, December 9, 2010

How to teach a one and half year old to unlock a door?

I really think that without the Rhodes Family to save, the Landon and Melanie John family would have nothing to do here in Ft. Lauderdale (oh wait, besides Landon working full time and going to school and Mel taking care of her own little guy). But really, we keep them pretty busy.

Yesterday Mel was at our place at 7:30 in the morning taking Tyler to the airport because both of our cars were dead. Then she was at our place later that day jumping the car so I could get around town. Did I mention that Tyler accidently took our house keys and car keys with him to Puerto Rico? Luckily Mel has an extra house key so saved our day with that as well. Anyway, that was yesterday. Today is a new day, with a fresh new start. It actually started out looking like we wouldn't need to bother the John's with any of our little family problems today but that didn't last too long.

I had a presidency meeting this morning (did I mention that I have a new calling in the Ft. Lauderdale ward? I'm the new YW President... WOW, anyway, that deserves it's own post in itself... who ever would have thought it right?). So anyway, my first counselor and one of my advisors were at my house while the kiddos (Owen and a buddy) were playing in the back room. Owen't little friend walks out of the room, I hear a door close and then Owen calling for me. Owen doesn't quite know how to open doors yet so I went back to open the door and let him out only to discover that the door was locked. It's not a door we usually close and to be honest, I didn't even realize that the door had a lock on it. Needless to say, we do not have a key to that particular door. Here is a picture of the room he is locked in:















Not sure if you can tell or not but one door leads to the kitchen and the french doors lead out back. I figured I'd go out back and open the door and grab him and then realize that somehow the back door has gotten locked as well. No go on saving him that way. I'm sure you are asking yourselves why we don't have keys to our own doors? It's a valid question. We just don't. We have keys to the front door... we rent and the landlord lives in Washington and until now we haven't needed those keys. Guess I'll be calling him today to find out where those are located. Anyway, didn't get him out of the door by way of the backyard.

So, we tried to pick the lock (It's harder than it looks):















We tried taking the hinges off of the door (too tight to get out):















We tried going through the window (windows were locked).
We tried teaching Owen how to unlock the door for us (he thought it was a game and just kept jiggling the door handle, didn't quite get the whole unlocking part of the game).
So, we tried breaking one of the glass panes (tempered windows, not happening):
Then, we tried calling re-inforcements (Mel and her bobby-pin), when that didn't work, we called her reinforcement (Landon)






















After an hour and a half, while I was on the phone with a locksmith, one of those reinforcements got the door open... with the old credit card and butter knife trick.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks Landon! Oh and everyone else who tried to break in the other ways... it's greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

The Cushings said...

It's a good thing the door had a window, poor little guy. What a week for you. So excited for you to come tomorrow. Thank Landon and Mel for the great friends they are to you.

cambersue said...

Man those guys come in handy! Good thing you've got some back-ups!

Emily said...

Just heard from Trav that everything went well today--brings tears to my eyes--I'm so grateful. Love you guys and see you soon.