Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mmmmmm... Cruisin the Ft. Lauderdale Canals

When I was little, we'd go to Lake Powell every year with my aunt and uncle. We camped out in the red sand and played in the water for a week straight. At the time we didn't have a boat but our Uncle John and Aunt Debbie did... we loved that boat. I remember sitting on it listening to Bruce Hornsby for hours on end. When I was seven years old, I got out on the waterskis for the first time. It totally clicked. I loved it from the second I got up on those things.

Right before tenth grade my parents decided to invest in their own boat. Best purchase ever! We were so excited (Except for my poor older brother Brandon who had just left on a mission, bad timing for him). Looking back it feels like we spent every weekend on that boat. We listened to mixed tapes and waterskied the days away. Since those days I always swore I would have a boat when I was older and married so that my kids could enjoy that same thing. Well, when Tyler and I were dating, I mentioned that to him and his response...  "I will never own a boat, you are always putting money into them and I would rather put my money elsewhere". So sad for me and our future children.

This past month, Tyler ate his words.

We are now the proud new owners of a little 17 footer. We have yet to name her but she is a beauty.   We took our first ride this past weekend and it was bliss...

Working on the boat... look at those sexy mechanics

Me, Mel and the kids loving it
 
Love these boys. P.S. Owen is a natural on the boat. Loves it.

Landon (The Captain)

It was windy. Oh and look how happy his little face is. See... bliss!

The Johns


Unfortunately, but for very good reason I won't be doing much skiing at least  for another seven months or so because of the little peanut growing inside my belly. Yes, that's right people, there is something else that starts with the letter B that's going to be new to the Rhode's family. It's name right now is baby, I'm sure we'll come up with something more original than that by the time he/she comes along.

Suggestions for names for both boat and baby are welcome.

13 comments:

Chelsea said...

Hooray Hooray!!

I cant wait :)
And...cant wait to see you!

Kaesy said...

Can't even believe this. Lucky dog.
Miss your face.
Love O's face.
Such a fun boat!

Kaesy said...

Can't even believe this. Lucky dog.
Miss your face.
Love O's face.
Such a fun boat!

Ally said...

Happy, Happy, Happy for you guys!

Emily said...

The kids' suggestion for the boat: The FloRhodeians. What else? Oh, and Ty wants it to be Jack. So why not Jack FloRhodeians?

For the baby:
Boy: Oscar
Girl: Olivia
(you know, sticking with the "O" theme like we have previously discussed :)

outdoor.mom said...

looks like fun!!

Emily said...

One more suggestion for the boat from Carter:

The "Ty"tanic (because of "Ty"ler)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the boat and baby number 2! That is so exciting and so much fun!

cambersue said...

oh..i wish we were still there. really.
Love the boat, excited for the belly!

The Cushings said...

What a cute family of boaters... Owen has such a big smile on his little face, he'll be sking, fishing & wakeboarding when he's 4. Derek was 6 when he started sking we'll see if Owen can wait until then.

McKenzie said...

Fun!! Owen seriously looks so happy!! Cute.

Tyanna said...

I would LOVE to have a boat & go boating with all the local townspeople!! You are living my dream. Hope you're having fun in UTAH....get a frozen yogurt for me! Also, CONGRATS!!!

Kira said...

YAY for a little bro/sis for Owen!! We are excited for you guys. Hope you are feeling OK. Congrats on the boat too ;)