Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mom and Dad

Don't you hate when you look forward to something for months and then it comes and goes, in what seems like minutes? That just happened to me. My parents came out for a visit for nine days and it seemed like no time at all. We tried to live it up while they were here. Get comfy people, this may be a long post.
The rundown:
Started the week with some time around Ft. Laudy Daudy:
We had some beach time:

Some Riverwalk Time:

Some boat time:


Some down time, to do things like this:
It's a Grandpa Cushing tradition:

Wednesday we headed to South Beach for the day:
 Had some fantastic lunch and walked around all of the shops.

Thursday we headed to the Keys. Tyler had to go for work and we tagged along. We thought it would be great to spend a few days there and end the trip scuba diving. The main thing I was excited to do with my dad while he was here. He loves suba diving and living in Utah, he doesn't get the chance often.
First stop Key West:

 We took Owen into an art gallery and my mom got a brilliant idea to take a picture of a three year old by a $7000 train. He turned around right after the picture and accidently got the edge of it with his elbow, knocked it off the table and BROKE IT. We were freaking out. Luckily the nice lady that was working said she would just glue it back together... phew!

We decided to go to Kermits for some Key Lime fudge to make us all feel better about it.



Yes sir, you're right,  that is the sun. Thanks for pointing it out.

Southernmost Point
Spent some time at the pool. This is the cutest baby bum ever. I'm convinced.
After spending a couple days in Key West we decided to make our way up to Key Largo. We stopped a couple places along the way.
First,  Bahia Honda:

I love this place.

we also stopped at Robbies.



Seriously people, watch this video. These Tarpon are crazy and my mom is a Rock Star!


We headed up to Key Largo Friday night with big plans to snorkel/dive on Saturday. We got some dinner and headed to bed with high hopes of some great water for the next day.

 Unfortunately, we woke up to a huge downpour :(. Something to know about me. I only use emoticon's when I'm really serious about something and this day people, I was seriously :( we didn't get to go diving.
Since we couldn't do that, we headed back to Ft. Lauderdale and did the next best thing...
Bowling!
 Owen's first time bowling. He loved it. For the first three frames, then he pretty much begged us for money to play games and buy treats.

The bowling alley was super legit. They even sold moustaches in their quarter machine. Totally worth the money.

We also spent some time watching this:
Some Jai-Alai action. It's just a fantastic sport. 

We spent Sunday recovering and getting in some spiritual upliftance.

Monday I had to work. I was doing stuff like this.
I don't think I've mentioned this but I got a job. I work four hours a week throwing bags so that I can get free flights! YAY! More on that later. Anyway... parents watched the kids on Monday while I did that and we spent the rest of the day doing stuff like this:
This is my dad being a super good sport and going down the slide with Owen on his back.

That night we went down to Hollywood circle for a food truck event. We couldn't wait to partake of some yummy tacos from Taco Fresh!


 Mmmmm... yummy.




Tuesday we headed over to the Children's Museum. This place is awesome.
Six hours and Owen could have stayed longer but we had other important things to do:





Like ride our bikes to get frozen yogurt.


 It was fantastic until my dad was multi-tasking. Both riding a bike and talking on the phone. Don't do it. Otherwise you'll wreck and bust up your face. It sucks. My dad knows from experience, poor guy.

Wednesday I took the parents to Anne Kolb Park for some good old fashioned trail walking.





Later that afternoon we decided to try snorkeling again since our diving trip the weekend before was a bust. Poor Dad was such a great sport and hopped in and tried even though he could barely kick his leg from his accident the night before. Mom was a great and held my sleeping child so that Tyler and I could do a little swimming together.





Thursday sucked. Mom and Dad went home. We've been going through major withdrawls since.
:( :( :(  Really sad, as is evident in the emoticons.


8 comments:

jos said...

I laughed so hard when I read that Owen was near a $7,000 train then I peed a little when I read he broke it! So funny. I couldn't stop laughing even though it's a mothers worst nightmare!!!! Your mom is beautiful just like you. I love your guts and love your blog

Unknown said...

Looks like you did EVERY fun thing possible! Mixed in with some funny/sad accidents, but that's what makes memories :) Sure miss you guys!

Sherrill Cushing said...

We had so much fun! You & Tyler were quite the host and hostess! You are such a good cook! We miss all of you and can't wait until next month when you come! I love your posts... you are so entertaining and funny! Thanks for the wonderful memories!

Tyanna said...

oh yay!! i was so excited to see this post contained lots of dan and sherrill too!! everything you guys did is fun and awesome. kris and i were reading through it together and he said "yeah...spokane pretty much blows"--i agreed.
i LOVE the video of your Mom with the tarpon. it's kind of like watching a jack-in-the-box...of course sen and i have watched it several times because she thinks it's the COOLEST thing ever.
jealous of your tans...and SUPER excited to see you next month.
you guys all look fantastic!!

Side of Jeffrey said...

This post made me miss Florida and you guys more than anything so far. You basically did everything we did in 9 months in one week. Awesome.

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

I know exactly how you feel when you anticipate something forever and it goes by in minutes. Weird how that works. I was just telling Nate we have to come see you. How does November sound? Let us know a good time because I really want to come out there!

Emily said...

Don't even know where to begin--so much fun!! Your kids look darling! I can't wait to see them (and all of you in less than a month) Love that your dad brought his own cookies--he'd do that when he'd visit us too. Great pic of you at work. Hope to talk to you soon! Em

Chelsea said...

This makes me wish even more that you were in town while we were there. You guys do lots and lots and lots (yes 3 lots) of fun things.
Also, you and your mom are beautiful, I love that picture of you two.
So sad about your dad on the bike.