Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Clown Ballerina? Is there such a thing?

It's nearing the end of Septmeber, which means the start of fall and the beginning of the Halloween season. YAY! I love Halloween so much. I have so many great memories of Halloween. When we were little, some people in our ward would have a giant Halloween party at their farm every year. They would have a scary movie playing in the barn, a hayride for the little kiddos, a warm fire, hot cider, the works.  I also have memories of my cousins who lived up Brighton canyon coming to our house every year to go trick or treating with us. As we got older and didn't trick or treat any longer my mom made it a tradition to have Chili, breadsticks and donuts at her house every Halloween for whoever wanted  to stop by. I love love love Halloween!
Even though it won't be the same Utah Halloween I'm used to (crisp fall air, leaves changing colors, the annual Halloween parties) I'm determined to not to let the sweletering Florida heat fool me into thinking Halloween isn't just around the corner. I've started thinking of costume ideas for Owen (suggestions welcome). I'm coming up with nothing. Am I horrible mother? The poor little dude isn't even two and I've already run out of fun Halloween ideas. I thought of sticking him in his costume from last year again but as you can see from the second picture, he doesn't really care for mustard. (Tyler's joke... need to give credit where credit is due)
















Anyway, I decided to go back to some of my pictures from past halloweens to see if it would conjure up any creativity on my part. Mostly it just conjured up tears of laughter about what I thought were great halloween costumes at one time. Like this one:












I wanted to be a ballerina, my best friend April was going to be a clown. Can you tell that my mom did both my makeup and April's makeup? Maybe she thought deep down I wanted to be a clown too. It's ok mom, I think it's hilarious and I must have not known it was embarassing at the time.

Or this one:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At our church they asked everyone to be something from the past. I thought it was a great idea to be the Pinta. You know the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria? Weird.  Do you see the shirt under the boat? It's a clock. I thought it was super clever to wear something that was representing "turning back time".

Or this one:














I honestly don't even have an explantation for this one. I don't remember what I was thinking but it was probably something along the lines of "I know I'm too old to be trick or treating and I don't have a costume but maybe if I draw polka dots on my face, stuff my outfit with pillows and throw on a red wig, I can trick neighbors into giving me some candy."

Anwyay, like I was saying,  I love halloween, there is nothing more fun than going to a haunted house with the man you love and cuddling up close when the chain saw guy is coming at you or eating chili and donuts on halloween night (Tyler thinks chili and donuts are a weird combo but to me that's halloween. Yummy) or getting lost in corn mazes or eating candy corn or seeing my mom dressed up for Halloween even if she isn't going anywhere the whole day. Plus, I love fall, it might be my favorite season. Could you Utah friends please mail me some leaves that have changed color? I need me some crisp fall air and something other than green trees!

Ok, so as I writing this blog post Tyler came up with the best idea... he wants the few of you who read this blog to email me a picture of your most ridiculous or your funniest Halloween costumes from the past. My email is: brittersport@gmail.com. If it's ok with the people who do send them, I'll do a post ranking our favorites. If only one person sends me their picture, then I guess you'll automatically win. For you more timid folks, you can just leave a comment about your funniest costume. I would just love to hear that there are others out there who wore humiliating costumes in their pasts as well. The winner will receive halloween peeps, unless of course you hate peeps in which case I'll send you the halloween candy of your choice. Please send some pictures in... Tyler and I need some entertainment!

9 comments:

Tyanna said...

Oh man, this will require some searching through picture boxes, but I will send you a real gem of me in the 4th grade. Also, I love you & your preference of RED wigs...that one with the polka dot face isn't the only one you wore so well!! Remember my dong pic w/your face all over it???

Tyanna said...

If I could turn back time, I would go back & re-word the last sentence of my comment. So Sorry, but you know the pic I am talking about!!

Emily said...

Darn it, I don't have any pictures with me. But one year I was Jimmy Osmond. It was one of those kits and it came with a mask and everything. We had bought it from Reams.

Unknown said...

We have the same horrible red wig! I can't tell you how many awful costumes my mom has made of that one. I guess it runs in the family, my mom has made so many costumes its nuts. I inherited her love of it. I need to find my miss piggy costume picture. A small example of the outfits my mom put me in, ya i wanted to be a princess. I can't wait this is going to be a great contest :)

The Cushings said...

I'm sorry about your makeup... oh well it's a good laugh for later! I'll have to go through some pictures to see some. I love Halloween also... fun contest Brittany.

Kaesy said...

Because of Google Reader, I no longer "technically" visit your blog. I just read it from Google. That way is lazy and lame because I can't comment, but I HAD to "technically" visit today to tell you how incredibly serial killer-like you look in your red wig and polka dotted face. Seriously. So many tears of laughter. I will need to dig through our stash of old pictures to see if I can find mine and Tuckett's old Halloween photos. Also, I'm going to need your address to mail you some of our wonderful leaves. (Please tell me you remember we rake at least 65 bags annually at our house). I love your blog. Too bad I have given up on blogging just as you have gotten started. Love you Britt...let's skype soon!

Kaesy said...

P.S., Owen should be a rodeo clown. Tuckett says he was a rodeo clown for like 5 years straight. I wish we had a boy so I could do that!

Emily H said...

Man now I'm going to have to look through old pictures! 2 years ago my nephew was a gorilla so I made Jaxton a banana costume! So cute.

Carrie Ann said...

Oh man, Halloween was a BIG deal for us, too. I would analyze the components of a perfect costume for MONTHS beforehand. The costume had to be somewhat authentic, nothing obviously fake-y, nothing plastic. I was serious. I will have to try and dig up some pics, although I think my parents probably have most of them. Owen should be a sharp little dracula, in tuxedo pants and a red sash with a black cape (see Abby's boy's costume, it makes me laugh how grow-up he looks). Or he should be a spatula, something he loves. Or one of those costumes that makes you look like a caveman riding a dinosaur. That gets me every time.