Monday, October 1, 2012

The Windy City

Once upon a time we had some really good friends who lived in Florida. After living there for a very short nine months, they decided to leave us for Chicago. We were really sad. 
Fast forward a year. We had a free weekend and decided to go visit these fantastic people for a few days. We left on a Friday morning, got to Chicago around noon and while the men went to Starbucks to work, we ladies and children caught up with each other. The best way to start out a trip, with good conversation. 
Our friends live in the most beautiful little town just outside of Chicago. They live two blocks from Lake Michigan so later that afternoon we walked over by the Lake and went to a little park there.

They don't call it the windy city for nothing. It got crazy crazy windy while we were playing. My poor Florida children couldn't handle how chilly it made them. I'm really raising some wimpy kids when it comes to the cold. I don't know how they will ever handle Utah winters. Max on the other hand was playing in the water fountain. Soaking wet with no shirt on and it didn't even phase him. what a tough kid. Anyway, we decided to meet the men and warm ourselves up with some deep dish Chicago pizza. YUMMMM. 


Saturday we got up and headed downtown so we could check out Navy Pier.

All of the sitting in the car for 30 minutes really made us work up an appetite so before checking out anything else, we headed to get us a Chicago Dog. AMAZING. I love hot dogs, is that disgusting? It's true... I really love them. This one definitely did not disappoint. It opened my mind to so many hot dog possibilities, tomatoes, pickles, mayo, onions, blue cheese and so many other amazing things to top your dog with.  I think we may have to throw a hot dog bbq soon so that I can try and relive this. We also had ourselves a deep fried twinkie, because why not? No joke, sometimes I wonder if I like to travel just so I can eat the food in each of these places.



We took a turn on the giant Ferris Wheel overlooking Chicago.


Jeff was fantastic and stayed down below with the baby while the rest of us enjoyed the ride:

We decided to hit up the water fountains next. On your way to the water, the kids played in the park. One of my favorite pics from the trip.

We also had to stop a few places to take some pics of the city. I think I'm in love with this place. Really, I fell in love with Chicago while we were there.
I loved the fountains. How funny are these things?

My kids had so much fun.
Next stop was the Cloud Gate (the bean). I have seen this thing in pictures a ton but had no idea it was in Chicago. Isn't it such a weird tourist attraction? Just a giant silver bean? But for some reason it's really cool. I loved it. We took about a million pictures of us doing different things:



These ones though, are my favorite. Thanks to my husband for his creative thinking. Aren't they cool? Did I already say that I love this city?

By this time the kids were getting sick of walking the city streets so we decided to head back to the hotel and have dinner there. I'm pretty sure there was other food besides churros and macaroons but I couldn't tell you what it was. We love churros and macaroons... yummm.


After dinner, it was getting late and Jeff and Caitlin had to head home to put their babies to bed. We were so bummed to see them go. We really love these people.

Sunday morning we got up and walked around the Magnificent mile and spent some time in a toy store (shocker right?). Isn't it crazy how what you do on vacation changes once you have kids?


Around noon that day we had to head back to Fort Lauderdale and real life.




Thanks Jeff and Cait for hosting us and hanging out! We love you guys (have I said that before?)!



4 comments:

Kikal said...

Oh I miss all ya'll! I'm so glad you're traveling the country and seeing the sites AND the Mulcocks. Do you know about JDawgs in Provo? I hope you do and that you've had one. If not, meet me there one day.

Emily H said...

So fun! And I LOVE your hair!

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

Your hair is SO cute! I have had the bug to chop mine too. There is something so liberating about cutting it! I am jealous of all your travels, by the way ;)

Side of Caitlin said...

And we love the Rhodes!!!! I hope one day we can live in the same city again!!! It was so awesome to see you guys...i just wish it would have been longer.